Sunday, 24 February 2013

Slathering Gold onto Hot Toast


Receiving post is one of life's loveliest little pleasures. And unexpected post from back home in the UK is even better. So imagine my delight when, within the space of two days, I received two parcels from the UK. Although they were from unconnected senders in two different countries, but they were both united in their theme: Marmite!



The first contained a special edition Gold Marmite. Fabulous gilded packaging aside, it's particularly marvellous due to the sprinkling of gold flecks within the Marmite itself. I was also touched because the lovely sender isn't herself a fan of this 'brown sludge' (as she calls it) and so I appreciated this gesture even more. Having such an iconic jar, there's no doubt in my mind that it'll be adorning my desk as an ornament once it's been dutifully slathered over hot buttered toast


Source

Two days later a second mysterious package landed on my door step. Nestled inside was The Ultimate Marmite Cookbook! As well as being full of unusual recipes including Spinach, Marmite and Mozzarella Muffins, Prawn and Marmite Sesame Toast and a rather quizzically named Marmite Steam Train, it is also chockablock with adorable vintage illustrations (see above).


Source

My love goes back a long way, from taking sneaky bites out of my Dad's hot toast when his head was turned, to my Mum bundling me off to primary school with little square of Marmite sandwichesThe love affair continued through my teenage years and I must confess that during my final year of uni, I basically lived on Nigella Lawson's silkily smooth Marmite pasta recipe. For the adventurous among you or those in Italy who are strong enough to brave the scorn of Italians, here's the recipe: 



Ingredients
(Serves 4-6)

Credit: Recipe from Nigella Kitchen
- 375g dried spaghetti
- 50g unsalted butter
- 1 tsp Marmite, to taste
- freshly grated parmesan, to serve
Directions
1. Cook the spaghetti in plenty of boiling, salted water, according to the packet instructions.
2. When the pasta is almost cooked, melt the butter in a small saucepan and add the Marmite and one tablespoon of the pasta water, mixing thoroughly to dissolve.
3. Reserve half a cup of the pasta water; then drain the pasta and pour the Marmite mixture over the drained spaghetti, adding a little of the reserved pasta water to amalgamate if required. Serve with plenty of grated parmesan.


★  ★  


From my own experience and observations of other Brits abroad, as an expat you tend to become obsessed with seemingly trivial things from back home. For me, it's Marmite, biscuits, and irreplaceable cheddar. So, if you're currently away from the UK, here's a homage to the little pleasures from home.

★  ★  

What do you miss when you're away from home?
Are you ever surprised by what you miss?

10 comments:

  1. that looks lovely, makes me hungry now :-)
    I'm definitely going to try this out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like marmite, then that's the biggest hurdle over and done with. I found that it gives the pasta a bit of oomph and flavour but it isn't overpowering in any way.

      Delete
  2. I've never tried Marmite, before, but it looks delicious on some hot toast. Thank you for sharing!

    It is a pleasure having you link up at this week's Harvest of Friends Weekend Blog Hop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wisest thing is to start with a small amount of Marmite - it's not like peanut butter where you can dollop on as much as you like. Have some hot hoast with butter and then a slither of Marmite to see how it goes.

      I found some lovely blogs via your hop so I was very pleased to have taken part. Thanks. Sarita

      Delete
  3. uhmmmm.... I love marmite on toast. But i think it stops there with me. I do not think i would venture to try that with spagetti.... umm just odd.
    Love your blog its UBER cool :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fair enough - it's hardly haute cuisine haha!

      Thanks so much for your comment. It's so encouraging to hear things like that : )

      Delete
  4. Salsa, I so miss salsa. Found you from the blog party! Love your blog.
    New follower here!
    Dena
    http://itsabouttakingthejourney.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad we found each other! I enjoyed your post about surprising German facts this morning : ) Sarita x

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing at What'd You Do This Weekend. I really enjoyed reading about an ingredient I never heard of. Now I need a package from the UK. Even though I have never been there. Hope to see you back at the party next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a national obsession - although it's famous for the love/hate relationship it produces in people. You either love it or despise it! In fact, half of their advertising campaign is showing people who don't like it. Hate http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG_xIFEa5oU and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjSER4WWaOs

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis