Tuesday, 23 April 2013

Am I Good Enough To Be Wearing This?


I was delighted that the recent guest post by Rachel Pieh Jones was so well received. I've been a fan of her blog for a long while due to the warmth and heart in her writing. Whether she's speaking about her faith, cultural observations or expat experiences in Djibouti, I find myself amused, moved and wanting to learn more about her unique perspective on life. I've loved these blog swaps because they provided an opportunity for us to get to know each other better and show that having different faiths, birth countries and host nations shouldn't be barriers but instead add to the richness of our friendships. 



So when Rachel asked me to contribute to her brilliant series Let's Talk About Hijab, I immediately said yes. In the article, I reflect on my initial marmite-style relationship with hijab in the early days and how my feelings towards it have changed over the last two years. I'd love it if you mosey on over and take a look. 



 

"Not all women choose to wear it and there are (as in everything) different interpretations of whether it’s obligatory or not, but in my case the hijab was something I choose to adopt pretty much straight away.  For me, it was part and parcel of the process of converting.  My relationship with the physical scarf was a useful gauge as to how I was progressing in my tentative spiritual journey towards Islam..."  More 

★  ★  ★


This post follows on from great articles in the series including: 

Through the Eyes of Children
Asking the Right Questions by Afia R. Fitriati
Hijab: The Universal Struggle by Pari Ali
Why Doesn't Your Wife Wear Hijab? 

Discover the warmth of Rachel's Writing in my favourite posts: 

Speaking about her beautiful children in 15 Things I Want to Tell My Children 
How to Speak Somali Without Saying a Word
The 3 Types of Expatriates

2 comments:

  1. read it really a great article!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Have a great weekend! Looking forward to reading more on your blog - I love your style.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis